The Art Treasures Gallery website was originally set-up in 1998.
The first iteration of art-treasures-gallery.com was hand coded.
The second iteration of art-treasures-gallery.com went live in 2000 using NetObjects Fusion 4, a template driven website design tool. As NetObjects was updated so the site was also updated to be built with NetObjects Fusion 5, NetObjects Fusion MX, NetObjects Fusion 7 and 7.5, NetObjects Fusion 8, NetObjects Fusion 9, NetObjects Fusion 10, NetObjects Fusion 11. NetObjects Fusion XII and NetObjects Fusion 2013. In November 2004, the Art Treasures Gallery website was featured on the NetObjects 8 Gallery of sites under the category: Business Websites (scroll to the bottom of the page).
The third iteration of art-treasures-gallery.com was launched in early 2015 using the self-hosted version of WordPress. WordPress is a free and open-source blogging tool and a content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL. It’s a sophisticated web based Content management systems for creating and managing the content of a website. According to W3Techs, as of January 2015 WordPress is used by more than 23.3% of the top 10 million websites!
This third iteration of the Art Treasures Gallery website has been built using Bruce Wampler’s Weaver Xtreme WordPress theme combined with Xtreme Plus plugin. In addition as China has grown and as Art Treasures Gallery’s Chinese clients have grown, a multi-lingual approach was taken using the WordPress Polylang plugin that adds multilingual content management support for English and Chinese (Putonghua / Mandarin / Simplified Chinese).
Through trial and error we have found that to get the Art Treasures Gallery website which is hosted in the USA to be seen in China that some of the WordPress tools shared with WordPress dot com needed to be deactivated. The ones we have deactivated are:
- Photon: Serves your images from the WordPress dot com cloud preventing Chinese readers from seeing the pictures.
- Tiled Galleries: Depends on Photon, so you won’t be able to use it.
- Jetpack Comments: Replaces your comment form by a custom form hosted at WordPress dot com. Don’t activate this module if you want readers to be able to leave comments.
- Jetpack Subscriptions: While the Subscription widget might work, subscribers are required to click a confirmation link leading to a WordPress dot com page.
- Gravatar Hovercards: Shows a pop-up business card of your users’ Gravatar profiles in comments.
- Streaming video – YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia and many others are blocked in China so you’ll need to use one of the China hosted service like YouKu or iQiyi. The downside is that the Chinese video hosting services are aggressive in their front end ads. As a result we have opted to self host our videos using the out of the box WordPress video player.
- ContactForm7: – was our favoured contact form plugin. We have since swapped to Fast Secure Contact Form. The recommended CAPTCHA changed from Really Simple CAPTCHA to Google reCAPTCHA with ContactForm7 version 4.3. Sometimes in China any server associated with Google is blocked so we had to opt for an alternative CAPTCHA that would not be blocked.
The old Art Treasures Gallery website, built using NetObjects has been archived. Click on the link below to view the old Art Treasures Gallery website: https://www.art-treasures-gallery.com/oldsite/index.html